Tuesday, April 7, 2009

NaPoWriMo Bonus Post #7

Lucky #7. Rather than give you something new, here's two poems of mine that will appear in the joint Crystal-JeFF Icarus production:

Icarus the Young

Schematic embryo. Star-crossed fetus.
Small as a period, a cluster of cells could not stop
Growing, could not but motion slowly
In the unnamed womb; were molded
By flesh-electric waves, programmed
With illusions of a user, else we might
Say these cells would soon be tricked
Into the light, as though any had choice
In the face of the atomic.

(first published in the 2008 Poetry at Round Top Anthology)


Icarus Interviews Orville

I: Were you close?
O: Wilbur and me? Closer than any brothers you’d ever meet. We even married sisters.
I: I mean to the sun.
O: Well, I was only ten feet off the ground that first time.
I: Did you feel the heat?
O: It was December.
I: ...
O: Wilbur had the most controlled flight – 853 feet.
I: ...
O: Of course, it wasn’t our only attempt.
I: ...
O: ...
[Interviewer leaves]
O: Yes, in all my veins, I felt it.

(never published in any journal, though several places asked for a copy of the chapbook when it comes out based on this poem)

2 comments:

Dr. Bae said...

for the record, the second one is my favorite poem of the series. I really love it.

JeFF Stumpo said...

Hooray for koala-love!