Monday, April 13, 2009

Do you want to play a game?

Greetings, Dr. Falken,

er, dear readers,

I like games. Actually, I'm fascinated by any situation in which people get together and behave irrationally within the boundaries of arbitrary rulesets. Soccer. Global Thermonuclear War. Starbucks. Poetry.

My wife and I also love playing board games. Not Monopoly or other largely-random games, but more strategic ones that involve an element of luck but place more emphasis on crafty play. Settlers of Catan. Citadels. Bohnanza. Ingenious. Scrabble.

There's one in particular that I've got my eye on lately, called Monsterpocalypse. From everything I've seen (positive and negative reviews, plus videos), it's a well-crafted set of rules meets pokemon collectibility (in the form of 3" miniatures) meets my inner child's love for Godzilla.









It's too expensive to go hog wild on purchases right now, but I'm expecting to order our first pieces in the next couple of days. With that on my mind, I wrote three haiku this morning. They'll mark my return to double-posting each day.

I wish I could end this post with another Wargames reference, but when it comes to poetry, to board games, to soccer, to Starbucks, (but not to Global Thermonuclear War), it's more fun to play.

Planet Eaters attacking a building

No comments: