Wednesday, December 16, 2009

a priest, a minister, and a rabbi

I've been on Indiefeed's Performance Poetry podcast twice before today, once with a creepy piece, once with a slow and philosophical one. I decided to do what I usually do, which is present another side to my work*, and sent Mongo a couple of funny poems from my feature at the Cantab. Both pieces will be featured on the podcast, and today it's "a priest, a minister, and a rabbi." I just really wanted to begin a performance piece with a joke, and this particular joke gave me a lot of room to be creative. It's a short piece, under two minutes, and the whole track only lasts about five, so this is a good one if you just want a quick jolt of kinda-funny-kinda-thoughtful.



*Most poets I know work at a particular style until they feel they've mastered it. I'm somewhat unusual in that I'm always trying on different styles and techniques. My page poetry ranges from concrete to free verse, formal to experimental. My performance pieces are quiet, loud, funny, dead-serious, political, everyday, theatrical, restrained. You can find threads amongst all my stuff, but you'll never mistake one poem for another. Since I'd already done two serious pieces, it was time to give another side.

No comments: