Thursday, February 26, 2009

Greatness/Smallness in Perspective

Poets are (rightfully) up in, well, not so much arms as gesturing angrily from their arm chairs over the NYT article by David Orr. I'll not rehash the whole thing here. You can Google the hell out of Orr and Greatness, or jump over to Poeta y Diwata or Nothing to Say & Saying It, where I've been at least tangentially involved in some discussions.

But just to keep it all in perspective, it could have been worse. I mean, Orr could have called Super Mario Kart the most influential video game of all time like Guiness did recently. You want a group of people who will get even more rabid about crap rankings and claims than poets, just say something idiotic like that and teh interwebz will just about explode from gamer froth. Mine included.

---

If I'm lucky, you laughed a little bit at that one. Here's something that's not funny at all. I'm angry at whatever jackasses followed this woman and harassed her. I'm angry at Microsoft for not pursuing said jackasses. I'm angry at people on message boards saying, "Oh, XBOX Live is no place to put your sexual habits."

I'm happy with the (greater number of) people defending her. I'm happy with the posts noting that to point out one's sexual orientation is not to detail one's sexual habits. I'm happy with straights and gays writing to Microsoft or at least writing about this to give it greater attention and discussion.

No comments: