Sunday, February 15, 2009

AWP Day 3

Summary: Bad panels, good arts.

---

The first bad panel was not the panel's fault. It was extremely relaxing, in fact, with quiet and contemplative (but not taxing) poetry being read. Problem is, a 9:00am session on the third day of AWP is very much sleepy time for those of us staying up late. Combine these two elements, and our heads drooped onto each other's shoulders from time to time. Dear Willis Barnstone - sorry! Not your fault! Enjoyed the translations immensely!

---

Insert time for writing/snoozing here.

---

Second panel was a sham. I overstate the case, but if you're going to bill the event as bad poetry by good poets, don't allow two panelists in a row to get up and say, "Well, there really was nothing bad by this poet, so let me talk about an early work and a later work." The whole point of the panel was to be gossipy and shocky and other words that end with -y (I've been watching too much Buffy lately). We demand satisfaction.

---

The Art Institute was wonderful. We ended up going in circles a few times, which was a bit weird. The third time we'd seen the same statue, we finally consulted a map. That being said, it's a good thing to swing by the same piece multiple times, viewing it in a new temporal context each time. Modern Wing was closed due to construction, but we spent a couple of hours taking in everything else at a relaxed pace. February is free for general admission. Go.

---

I'll upload photos of the snow sculptures on Michigan Ave later.

---

Nobody on the panel about Chicago Poetry Slams showed, so an impromptu open mic was held. Fun times for all.

---

The Afterhours Slam didn't go how I was told it would, which was (for economic reasons - i.e. a chance to sell chapbooks) disappointing. On the other hand, I got to see both Megan Thoma and Logen read during the open mic. That was wonderful (both had people come up to them afterwards, yay!). Instead of featuring, I slammed off against a young man named Riler who won the poetry slam on Thursday night. He won, and he was quite good. I'd like to hear/see his work again. I used my semi-improv piece "Christmas List" as my last poem, incorporating things that a bunch of the other poets had said during the open mic. I think one of the poets was really touched - he looked a little teary when he came up afterwards to thank me for incorporating his words.

---

More sketches from boring panels:

















2 comments:

Nancy Devine said...

jeFF
i think you've found your niche. you should cover events like you've been doing. it's really entertaining. the drawings have been my favorites. (i hope this isn't coming across sarcastic, because i am serious)
you can blog live, you know...consider it. could you live blog a poetry slam?
sorry...i've got this deal where i like to assign stuff to people...wonder where i get that?
safe travels!

JeFF Stumpo said...

Thanks, Nancy :-)

I'd love to liveblog a poetry slam, but I don't have a laptop. Thus the sometimes-taking-notes and reporting later. I'm also getting more and more tired, so my report on tonight's Green Mill activities are not nearly as detailed as I'd like them to be. Saving energy for class meeting and performance at Illinois Wesleyan University tomorrow and Tuesday.

I had fun with the drawings, so I'm definitely glad you like them.