Monday, December 15, 2008

Implications of Sky and other posts

We have power again, just no hot water. Don't ask. There are people in far worse condition, so I'm not complaining. Had ideas for several blog posts / interesting moments over the few days without internet access, which I recap (but do not reprint in full) now:

---

"In Absentia" was released on Indiefeed's Performance Poetry podcast this morning. Nice timing. And a nice outro by Mongo. :-)

I need to start putting together a set list for the shows I'm giving next year. New pieces to add to the lineup present on Arts & Crafts: "A priest, a minister, and a rabbi," "Mabel's Cards" (improv structure), "Why [name of other poet] is going home with somebody tonight and I'm not," "The Magician and the Mice," "M.B.F.T.M.I.W.O.K.T.T.T.P (My Black Friend Told Me It Was OK To Tell This Poem)" (for Crystal), and "Shirts and Skins." Perhaps a few others.

---

An old man in a wheelchair trying to remain relevant.

---

Kate saying "garbanzicide" in reference to eating a tasty bean dish.

---

I'm fascinated by the differences between evergreen trees covered in snow and in ice.

Snow carries with it implications of sky, as though the trees might shake themselves off like dogs and the flakes fly upwards. Despite collecting in piles, snow is individualized, faceted, like diamond(s). You know it's cold, but it is also soft. Snow gives.

When a tree glazes over with ice, all things point downwards. The weight is not like snow, which can be divested. It is a permanence even though we know it will also melt. It is singular, unceasing. Because it is so much like liquid water, there is the fearful sense that if we touch one of the branches, we too would be pulled inside. Ice takes - see the sunlight it amplifies and runs along a branch?

---

I don't think about the dark in the dark. I'm thinking about what things would look like if they could be seen, or what they feel like regardless, or what they sound like. The dark is not quite a blank slate for my impressions - but when it is present, I'm trying to move beyond it. On the other hand, when the heat shuts off, as it did, cold is present. Cold cannot be negotiated with, only held back by blankets other warm bodies. When I try to find something that is not-cold, it isn't like my search for not-dark. It is a struggle against an active rather than passive adversary.

6 comments:

Nancy Devine said...

i had to visit your blog after seeing your post at avoiding the muse. you must be teaching right now. is that correct?
and what a line. "Snow gives."
i've lived in a place with an intense winter climate all my life and hadn't thought of snow and ice in the terms you portray here.
i'm in grand forks, nd.
and no power..for how long?
any particular poems of yours online that i should go to first?

JeFF Stumpo said...

Hi Nancy,

Finished up an Intro to Creative Writing class about two weeks ago. Am hoping for a few classes (lecturing) at the University of New Hampshire.

Power wasn't off for long for us - day and a half perhaps? We're in Portsmouth, NH, which got power back faster than some of the more rural areas.

I think you'd like a poem once published in Karamu that I blogged a while back http://jeffstumpo.blogspot.com/2008/11/for-my-friends-at-halo-tonight.html. I used to live in the Midwest.

Otherwise, I think any of my poems published online are pretty much equal. Some very different than others in terms of style, etc, but none that I'd highlight as "best represents me."

Self-servingly, I'd say check out my performance album Arts & Crafts at http://www.jeffstumpo.com/stage.html. Watch "ADD TV" and "Sign of the Turtle" first. If you enjoy and are willing to put up with something a bit more frightening but ultimately good, listen to "There will be no reinvention of the wheel" and the essay that follows ("Persona").

Where should I go to find some of your work? :-)

Nancy Devine said...

jeff-
i'm still thinking about the discussion at avoiding the muse...
i will check out your work.
i had some work in "Stirring" a year or so ago.
http://www.sundress.net/stirring/archives/v9/e5/devinen.htm

there's more at "The Straitjackets"
http://www.straitjacketsmagazine.com/support4/nancy.devine.htm

self-serving is fine. if you can't depend on yourself for promoting your work, who can you depend on?

oh...you probably know that the University of New Hampshire is famous for a number of teachers/writers who helped articulate writing process/writing workshop teaching.

Nancy Devine said...

jeff-
i will check out your work.
i've some work at "The Straitjackets"
http://www.straitjacketsmagazine.com/support4/nancy.devine.htm

And work at "Stirring"
http://www.sundress.net/stirring/archives/v9/e5/devinen.htm

self-serving is fine, i think. if you can't depend on yourself for promoting your work, who can you depend on?

you probably know that the University of New Hampshire is famous for teachers/writers who began to articulate the writing process for teachers.

Nancy Devine said...

sorry about the double comment...i'm having weird computer stuff.

JeFF Stumpo said...

Hi again Nancy,

Enjoyed the read. Am also still thinking on the conversation at C. Dale's blog. I'm working out both a continued response - which I just see C. Dale beat me to - involving the need for a poetic underground rather than a unified body, as well as a separate post on my own blog reacting to something Seth said about proliferation of MFAs and more specifically manuscripts.