Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dreams vs. TV: Which Says More About Me?

My dream last night (not incidentally, this is one of the most "normal" and least-frightening dreams I've ever had):

I'm teaching an Intro to Composition course in an auditorium-style room. Maybe a hundred students but still plenty of empty chairs. It's the first day of class, so I go through the syllabus, do a few theatrical flourishes to get them interested in sticking out the semester, and everything works. Students cheering and clapping. Then I look around and see a number of faculty from the English Department in the crowd. They're scowling. I realize that I haven't mixed the acid and water yet - there are 5 gallon jugs of hydrochloric acid and similar jugs of water over on the side of the room. So I'm standing there with a jug in each hand (apparently I was Superman in this dream) but am unable to remember whether you add the acid to the water or vice versa. This goes on for several very uncomfortable minutes, and then I wake up.

---

Five favorite TV shows:

1. Looney Tunes*
2. Monty Python's Flying Circus
3. Deadwood
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer**
5. Battlestar Galactica (new version)***

*If Looney Tunes doesn't count as a show, per se, shift everything up and add Gilmore Girls in the number five spot.

**Can I squeak Angel into this same space?

***I reserve the right to change this based on what happens in the last half of the last season.

No comments: